LITTLE GULL II (HMCo. #389) was designed by William Hand, Jr. and built by HMCo. in 1929 as an express cruiser. Featuring an atypical hard chine and changing dead rise hull section terminating in a flat run, LGII (as the MP&G team refers to the boat) was powered by two Hall Scott engines and capable of speeds in excess of 20 kts. At 42’6″ LOA with a 10’10” beam and 3’ draft, the boat was designed to fit inside an existing boathouse on the Fishers Island estate of Irving Bonbright. LGII was used as a family commuter and for day fishing, and also served in the coastal picket fleet in WWII.
The shop has been tasked with restoring LGII in the same manner as MINK. The replication of engine and mechanical systems will take the place of rigging and sails. LGII will be fit with two Hall Scott Invader engines of 275 hp., running bronze shafts in the original hull casting fitted with bronze shaft bearings. Replica riveted and soldered copper tanks for gas and water are being fabricated, and replica wiring harnesses are planned.
LGII retains her original interior, pilot house, and hardware, as well as nearly all of her topside planking, transom, and deckbeams. When completed, LGII will run out of Mystic and Noank.